Polymorph is one of the most useful materials for model making and prototyping. This polymer has all the characteristics of a tough engineering material yet it fuses and becomes easily mouldable at just 62°C.
It can be heated with hot water or a hairdryer and moulded by hand to create prototypes and solve manufacturing problems. Polymorph can be reused simply by reheating it. The material can also be coloured when soft by adding a small amount of food dye. Uses for Polymorph include:
• Moulding of handles and orthopaedic aids
• Vacuum forming moulds
• Moulds for batch producing other mouldings
• Prototype mechanical parts
• Armatures / frames for models
• Inserts for compliant products
• Specialised components – e.g. motor mountings
• Moulding of complete products – e.g. torches
• Joining components together
The material is supplied in a self–seal bag. The polymorph is first fused and then the powder is added and worked in mechanically by hand. Although a labour–intensive process, this is about the only one available at present. 2g of colouring is supplied in a plastic pot.